Monday 8 November 2010

Keeping up with the Joneses

I saw "The Joneses" over the weekend. Its a film that attempts to explore the notion of ... you guessed it keeping up witht the Joneses. It has some amusing observations and centres upon a fake family (of salespeople) moving to an area near you to influence the way you buy. My own view is that the idea is not developped thoroughly and scarcely embarks upon why we fall for the enticements of the "good life" and very little is done to unpack exactly what the "good life" is. The main message seems to be - don't spend money you don't have, but ideas about what delivers lasting happiness are largely ignored. It is possible to be incredibly wealthy and be very happy - its also possible to be poor and happy. The question about why we often forget this is largely consigned to the irrelevant and replaced with our new HD (hardly different?) TV.

Its an amusing film, but offers little bite.


1 comment:

  1. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of $250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of $250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete